An opportunity has arisen for an ambitious, enthusiastic and hard-working employment claims paralegal to join the busy team at this up and coming online national employment claims practice. Worker Claims is based in the East Midlands but assists claimants with employment claims in Employment Tribunals and the Courts throughout England and Wales. The successful candidate will deal with all the major aspects of employment work, from discrimination to unfair dismissal, and everything in between.
Job Title: Employment Claims Paralegal
Salary: Competitive (Good prospects in the event of successful performance)
Employer: Worker Claims (legal employer Bird and Co Solicitors LLP)
Location: Bird and Co Solicitors LLP, 38 Kirkgate, Newark, Nottinghamshire, NG24 1AB, but attendance at tribunals nationwide, and some travel to local offices in Grantham and Lincoln.
Summary Job Description
Duties will include (all under the supervision of an experienced employment solicitor):
- Taking instructions and providing initial advice to clients regarding their claims over the telephone and online;
- Managing a significant caseload of varying types of employment claim;
- Drafting case documents including ET1s, statutory questionnaires, Schedules of Loss and witness statements;
- Dealing with correspondence including without prejudice negotiations with opponents;
- Liaising with relevant other parties including opponents, Tribunals and ACAS;
- Researching appropriate points of law and procedure;
- Attending hearings;
- Acting as an ambassador for the practice and assisting with marketing and promotion of services;
- Maintaining current knowledge of employment law topics and producing written bulletins on such issues;
- Complying with all relevant management requirements.
In addition, for those candidates with the appropriate aptitude and desire there may be opportunities for Tribunal advocacy including contested hearings, as well as the opportunity to attend with Counsel both in Tribunals and in the EAT or civil courts.
Minimum degree class 2:1
If necessary, GDL at minimum level of Commendation (2:1 equivalent)
BPTC or BVC at minimum level of Very Competent. Exceptional LPC graduates may also apply although the position is likely to be more suited to Bar graduates.
High-level of enthusiasm for employment law and a desire to represent our clients to the best of their ability;
Excellent interpersonal and presentational skills;
Excellent written skills;
Capacity to deal with clients sympathetically and with appropriate empathy and understanding, even when under pressure;
Ability to work effectively in a team;
Legal research abilities (both hard-copy and online);
Capable of managing own workload and making own decisions whilst recognising when it is appropriate to seek further guidance;
Appropriate file management and organisational skills.
Potential after training to undertake own advocacy in the Employment Tribunal whether by telephone or in person;
Previous employment law experience. FRU, CAB, Law Centre,Pro-Bono or other professional employment law experience would be an advantage;
Full, clean driving licence.
How to apply
No agencies please. Worker Claims is an equal opportunities employer.
Closing date: 4pm on 19 November 2012.